I’m about to dive head first into my MA responsibilities tomorrow so I decided to try to recover from marking by buying somewhat unnecessary things for my desk. I’m so excited to finally have an answer to, “What are you up to these days?” Answering with, “Oh, I’m doing my Master’s” will no longer technically be a lie.
Dawson’s Creek readings, I’m coming for you.
My purchases today include:
- Matching bowl, saucer and mug. Let’s not even pretend I’m not going to be living off instant noodles this year. Shout out to Indo Mie, the unofficial sponsor of my thesis.
- A cookie box. Because I can’t have stale cookies, that’s just messed up.
- A pretty handtowel… why not?
- A snuggly blanket and pillow for when I’m curled up on the floor with John Ellis.
So the office is pretty much all set up. I have even started to develop somewhat of a caffeine habit, along with the rediscovery of my love for the word ‘problematic’. That’s all you need for a successful media thesis anyway, right?
Things I did instead of working:
- Spent a significant amount of time trying to find the full song of the “love is just a game” part of the ‘Elephant Love Medley‘ and ultimately got distracted by another awesome song called ‘Love’s A Game’.
- Accidentally slept on the bus on the way to my other tutoring job while I was trying to research. Seriously, my schedule is killing me.
- Had a long and detailed discussion with JB and SH about contemporary sex scenes in film and television. What is the distinction between pornography and HBO?
- Felt heartbroken when I saw my favourite student’s sad face when I told him I wasn’t going to be his tutor anymore. I’ll miss you too, my talented little Angelface.
- Photoshopped BL’s head on Don Brash’s shirtless body. Be careful what you joke about…
- Talked to JFtD on Facebook. I used your chosen nickname. Are you happy now, procrastination enabler?
Random “Totally just found out this awesome song existed” lyrics:
Oh maybe I think, maybe I don’t, maybe I will, maybe I won’t
Find my way this time, I hear you calling me soon
One of these days , somebody stays and somebody pays
It happens all the time
I’ll be leaving, believing you wanted me to
Maybe I’m a fool
For walking in line
Maybe I should try to lead this time
I’m an honest mistake that you make
Did you mean to?